Cárdenas Secures $12.5 Million in Federal Funds for San Fernando Valley Community Initiatives in Appropriations Package
The funding will support infrastructure projects, housing for the homeless, job training, youth programs, mental health services and more
WASHINGTON, D.C — Last night, Congressman Tony Cárdenas (CA-29) voted to send $12.5 million for San Fernando Valley initiatives and programs in the Fiscal Year 2022 appropriations funding package. In April, Congressman Cárdenas submitted ten Community Project Funding requests to the Appropriations Committee. The funding will support infrastructure projects, housing for the homeless, job training, youth programs, mental health services and more.
“When I came to Congress, I made a promise to take care of and fight for my community and bring back federal dollars to the San Fernando Valley,” said Congressman Cárdenas. “That’s why I’m proud to have secured $12.5 million in federal funding for Valley community projects — money that will make a real, direct impact on the lives of our friends and neighbors. I will never stop advocating on behalf of our community and I will push to get these funds across the finish line.”
The $12.5 million in federal funding is split between the following ten community-based projects that will benefit California’s 29th Congressional District:
- $5,000,000 for the Telfair Avenue Multi-Modal Bridge Project over the Pacoima Wash;
- $800,000 to Pacoima Beautiful for the Pacoima Wash Greenway Project;
- $1,000,000 to Abbey Road for the Housing Rehabilitation Project;
- $200,000 to Champions In Service for the Community Wellness Initiative;
- $1,000,000 to Mid Valley YMCA for After School Programs;
- $400,000 to Los Angeles Valley College and Los Angeles Mission College for the Workforce Training Program;
- $3,000,000 to LA Family Housing for Project Home Key Development;
- $450,000 to the Boys & Girls Club of San Fernando Valley for After School Programs;
- $400,000 to Penny Lane for the Individual Placement and Support (IPS) Program; and
- $300,000 to Proyecto Del Barrio for the On-Work-site-Experience Program.
Congressman Cárdenas will continue to fight for these community funds as the appropriations package moves through the Senate. For full details on the projects, click here.
The twelve-bill government funding package also includes significant investments to:
- Help Working Families With The Cost of Living: Reduces costs by expanding child care and early learning programs to more working families, investing in America’s K-12 public schools, making college more affordable, expanding access to homeownership, and bringing the promise of rural broadband to more communities
- Create American Jobs: Creates good-paying American jobs, putting folks to work rebuilding our infrastructure, helping small businesses grow and thrive, fostering the green energy jobs of tomorrow and supporting high-quality job training and apprenticeship programs so every American can contribute and succeed
- Supports Families: Supports families by meeting basic needs, strengthening nutrition assistance, funding more affordable housing and cracking down on gender-based violence.
The legislation also addresses some of our nation’s biggest challenges:
- Protects National Security: Protects our national security with robust funding for defense, diplomacy and global development, a strong focus on cybersecurity and investments in responsible border and maritime security that keeps us safe and respects the rights and dignity of migrants.
- Confronts the Climate Crisis: Confronts the existential threat of climate change through a renewed focus on environmental enforcement, pioneering funding for environmental justice, and historic investments in clean energy and climate science.
- Strengthens Public Health: Strengthens healthcare in America by rebuilding our public health infrastructure, investing in lifesaving biomedical research and confronting urgent health crises, including maternal health, mental health, substance misuse and gun violence.
A detailed summary of the legislation is available here.